Doug Hall's Portfolio
TWID is online software designed to turn expertise into revenue.
With TWID, experts can market, provide and promote interesting online content. Coaches, consultants, physical trainers, nutritionists and more....(Starting November 2014)
Project-Open is the leader in open source project management. ]po[ is a comprehensive project management tool, fully integrated with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. Doug handles sales in the US, including Silicon Valley, CA.(Starting Oct 2013)
Black Olive Jazz features stunning vocals and a rhythm section powered with a percussive Mediterranean touch. Vocalist Kay Andreas (Kostopoulos) is also a professional actress and director who teaches in the Drama Department and Graduate School of Business at Stanford University. Doug handles web master tasks for this site. (Starting Summer 2012)
Doug Hall is performing at local San Francisco Bay Area community colleges starting in February 2013, including Foothill, DeAnza and San Jose City College. Students are interviewing him on Spirt at School and Work according to Doug. Check out a script he uses with the volunteer students: Doug_Hall_interview.doc.
Pre-Date is a premier National Speed Dating company, along with a sister company Lock and Key Events. Doug was the event coordinator for the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Berkeley and San Jose CA. His duties included negotiating with venues, providing sales and customer service to prospective clients, coordinating and managing volunteers, managing proprietary database and handling marketing services including Meetup pages. (April 2012 - Jan 2013)
Harmless Harvest has introduced the world's first Raw Coconut Water. They are the 2nd company, along with Evolution Fresh, to utilize a relatively new technology called HPP (High Pressure Pasteurization) which keeps the taste and enzymes intact.
Here are some of the things Doug did for Harmless Harvest (Spring-Summer 2012)
- Sample product in 3-hour clips at South Bay Whole Foods Market
- Manage relationship with local Whole Foods buyers and demo specialists to maximize results
- Continuing to keep presentation interesting to me by bringing joy to process
- Looking for new opportunities to market and promote product including new venues such as unique health food stores, farmers markets and running events. Discussing logistics with area manager
- Discussing with Harmless Harvest managers ways to partner with MarketStretch like-minded partners to get bigger than challenge of limited resources, develop intangibles and help create and ride momentum
- Promote business at opportunistic times throughout relationship
- For more information about Harmless Harvest, click here.
The US Census took place in 2010. It happens every 10 years and helps counties get the necessary Federal funds it needs.
Unique Solution: Utilized my experience of canvassing neighborhoods and a well-versed knowledge of the neighborhood I grew up in as well as a familiarity of special project solutions.
Here are some of the things I did for the US Census Bureau from April to June 2010:
- Went through a 1-week training on filling out forms and reading maps
- Went door-to-door interviewing residents and setting up meeting times for absent residence
- Filled out necessary paperwork
- Met weekly with multiple supervisors
- Worked independently the majority of time as well as with a partner at times
- Appeared to have top-tiered success rate of getting necessary information
- Was picked to stay in Richmond, CA for 1-week project to gather information from challenging resident area; worked in a group while staying at 4-star hotel
- Worked approximately 200 hours during project
For more information on working with Doug, click here!
Larusticana D'Orsa is an award winning privately-owned vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Unique solution provided: Experience and knowledge to show a solution could be provided from experienced overseas outsourcing service as well as patience and creativity to gather data from pertinent decision makers and provide effective solution. (Spring 2010)
The process includes:
- meeting with staff for feedback on how to make site more effective and easy to use gathering existing photos and creating a gallery page
- helping set up a temporary events calendar page
- communicate with overseas software programming team to implement changes, including adding Flash
- re-arranging pages to improve the user experience
- highlighting awards on home page and setting-up links to wine competitions for improved search engine results
- linking with and helping set up constant contact email marketing
- developing a products page that will help promote products and services
- improving contact us page and deleting outdated pages
- providing 1 year maintenance service to update education page and adding new awards
- For a Power Point step-by-step comparison of old and new site, click here.
Raw Daddy Foods is a unique healthy fast food concept now serving Bay Area farmer’s markets. They are currently looking for funding to develop into a fast food chain, a la In-N-Out Burger, minus the sugary soda and shakes and greasy fries. Simple menu, tasty food.
Unique solution provided: Ability to show patience and foresight including the confidence to owner and others that investors could be found as well as the experience and knowledge to work in the business in different capacities.
Here are some of the things I have been doing since Summer 2009 and current as of Fall 2013 while working with Raw Daddy Foods:
- Working booth with owner, both as a cashier, drink server and cone maker while getting to know business, food concepts and customer demands
- Looking for funding sources including attending sba loan events, investigating crowd sourcing and investigating 2012 jobs bill
- Looking for large catering projects, new markets and partnerships during Craigslist searches, networking activities and other locations
- Talking business with owner during markets and off-times, including sales and marketing ideas, techniques and projects
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) assistance
- Researching and managing farmers market booth signage including banners as well as developing print media
- Post market activity pictures and other content directly on RawDaddy Foods Facebook page
This is an article my client along with his colleagues had published. This project has been going on for a few years with ups and downs. My client and his contacts are very technical. (Once I understand a project, I can begin to look for resources and evangelize for my clients) The Mercury News editorial writer had started a blog which I had found while searching for information. The editor became interested and was a catalyst in getting their material published.
Unique solution provided: This has led to 3 State Senate bills being proposed in Spring 2010. The amount of money per senior couple and surviving spouse could save on Capital Gains could be anywhere from $100,000 to several million dollars. The number of seniors who take advantage of it could be tens or hundreds of thousands. Thus, it is very hard to say the total dollar amount but safe to say it would be millions.
The article is located on the word press blog started in January 2007 for my client and is on-going as of Fall 2013. Click the image above to visit the blog. Wordpress is a free service to post comments, links and images. I started this blog for my client and now maintain it. It has been used to keep track of the project documents to allow anyone on the internet to view the information. I started this blog for my client and maintain it.
Here is a Health and Safety course done for my client Goldmet back in 2008-09. I am the middle person between my client and my programming team who is designing the course. The course can sit in any Learning Management System or LMS. An LMS is a type of online learning classroom. I have put in hundreds of hours into this due. Fortunately, I love process. My hope is that it will grow into larger projects and be a nice feather in my portfolio.
Unique solution provided: Oversee project from beginning to end, including spotting opportunity and being able to utilize poignant Chinese e-Learning resources being developed over the previous several years while coming in at budget. To view a demo of this course, please contact Doug Hall.
Upon returning to Guangzhou, China I met the owners of Trade-Ok while marketing at the Canton Fairin. From April 2007 until Jan 2008, we worked weekly together and have kept up a relationship since then. Trade-Ok is a Chinese B2B website based in Guangzhou China, serving Chinese manufacturers and international buyers.
Unique solution provided: Background in sales and psychology have provided unique information to develop relationship quickly, help weather difficult economy and confront business viability as well as discuss future opportunities.
Here are some of the things we did while working together:
- Worked on English skills with owner, including pronunciation and business terms
- Results included the owner saying he had more confidence to speak with foreign customers.
- Owner’s wife seemed to feel more interested in learning the language
- Provided 1 day unique sales and marketing techniques for their 20 person phone sales staff
- Attended local restaurants weekly with them while learning more about Chinese business culture
- Continuing business relationship as a future resource
Back in 2006, my client asked me to set up her website for her new business. Images were provided as well as some text. Some was researched over the internet. Templates are chosen to give a look and feel for the website but no programming experience is required, which allows for me to do the work. It is all done virtually through the internet.
Unique solution provided: Providing creative and resourceful small business solutions, including web-based and international in-person solutions with limited budget. (2006 to present Fall 2013)
Here is a project started in 2006 (and is on-going as of Fall 2013) with Sandy Hasson, designer of Caroling Kids, the doll that sings Christmas carols and sways back and forth. Prior to 2000, it was manufactured in China and sold 10,000 to 20,000 units to a major retailer. When I came in, it had been on hold for several years due to cost and distribution issues.
Unique solution provided: Researching manufacturing sources and potential buyers with limited budget, while looking for creative and resourceful ways to distribute product.
Here are some of the things I have been doing:
- Researching the players’ status, including visiting the manuracturer in Shenzhen China and assessing how to utilize their services
- Visiting trade shows in Guangzhou, China and Hong Kong to survey the existing market and look for manufacturers, distributors and buyers.
- Look for distributors here in the US through the internet, interesting stories, synergies, etc.
- Look for funding to cover expenses and possibly a build.
- Look for alternative ways to deliver message of the doll which is to “give” during the holidays, which came up with conversations with founder.
- Continually update Ms. Hasson on project status.
To purchase a caroling kid kit, click the image now or contact Doug Hall!
Back in 2005, I moved to Guangzhou China to teach at Bai Yun Univeristy. They have a Higher National Diploma (HND) program sponsored at the time by Bradford College UK.
Unique solution provided: Foreign teacher who spoke Mandarin and used alternative styles of teaching and use of motivation, while assisting them in confronting and re-assessing how they delivered courses to students, i.e. whether to continue to teach in English or predominantly teach in Mandarin.
During the 2005-’06 school year, I taught and organized the following:
- Business Strategy
- Human Resource Development
- Attended English corner to help students practice English
- Coordinated local 5-star hotel HR manager to be part of class project
Returned in 2007 to give an evening workshop on helping students with motivation and getting the most of their education. To learn more about my teaching style, click the image above!
Codestar Electronics designed and manufactured barcode scanners to the clean room and contract manufacturing environments.
Unique solution provided: Providing stable influence to under-capitalized business, while being creative to find solutions including sourcing new supplier to finding $600,000 needle-in-haystack deal.
Here are some of the things that I did while working with Codestar from 2001-2005:
- Calling existing customers, both domestic and international to sell products
- Prospecting new leads through internet searches and trade show magazine leads
- Attended local and out of town trade shows
- Managed international reseller channel
- Clients included Seagate, Boeing, Agilent, Flextronics and Qualcomm, just to name a few
- Managed large deal to Solectron over $500,000 from start to finish by first prospecting deal in Austin, Tx, flying to meet with customer with partner Datalogic and provide solution to them and their customer Cisco, including fixed and handheld scanners.
- Helped maintain website
- Flew to 10 Asian countries in a 30 day whirlwind trip visiting existing resellers and manufacturing clients
- Developed a clean room ESD keyboard prototype
To learn more about Doug Hall's alternative sales and marketing course, click here!Special Projects .ppt Special Projects Complete Version